• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

PowerBasic Forum down (20.07.2013)

Started by Theo Gottwald, July 20, 2013, 09:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrice Terrier

Jim,

The lack of communication and a clear vision of the forthcoming of PB's development status, is a big mistake for the people who have to make a strategic choice for their own future.

Most will give you a second chance, but i urge you to stop the policy of keeping your customers into the dark, because they are making your living.
Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

John Spikowski

One can only imagine the cost to the customer base every time PowerBASIC does the disappearing act. Larger office? You have to be kidding me. I would be surprised if PB generated enough revenue to pay Jim last month. I got off the PB bus long ago when I saw no change in its misguided direction. As far as I'm concerned, PowerBASIC is now a hobby language with a risk factor too high to be used for anything else.

Richard Angell

Exactly Patrice!  Well said!

One thing PB might do is to have a mirror site that does not go down, one which might serve as a PR communications portal during such events as moving.  Such would definitely give all of us in the community a real sense of the direction Jim says regarding PB's growth.

Carlo Pagani

Thanks for the update Jim - Good to hear some news.

As a client trying to stay loyal, but sitting on the barbed wire fence, this is not a good reference. A move is always disruptive. To plan a web site move however, is not brain surgery and a bit of pre-planning will go a long way, even if it means having a temporary site hosted somewhere else during the move.

Mike Doty

http://www.sqlitening.com/support/index.php?topic=9150.0

Actually we moved into a new shop, and have more resources to help us out with.  The website may be down for another day or 2, and the phone is in the process of switching carriers, possibly going voip.  Sorry for any difficulty, we are trying to get this up as fast as possible.

Our email server is part of the installation, so we have to deal with this on a email-by-email basis.

When our servers are 100% up we will be doing some more sales, so keep checking in!

Thank you,

Jim Bailey
PowerBASIC Staff
Mike

José Roca

Restarting the beta forum will be the acid test. The lack of new builds is what has worried me. I have no plans to switch to another compiler. If PB disappears (God forbid), I will abandon programming. I have not the slightest interest in .NET, Mac or Linux, and much less in open source software. Regarding the 64-bit compiler, although I don't need it right now, I think that PB needs to write one, eventually, not only because some PBers need it, but because many prospective buyers may look elsewhere if there is not 64-bit support.

Chris Holbrook

Good news Jim but how many people have already been forced to seriously consider their position.

Please, next time, consider the possibility that things may not run smoothly and manage transition accordingly.

No point in spelling it out more than this.

Good luck with the new arrangements.

John Spikowski

I think the best solution is for Vivian to contract Jose to help them through this mess and release the source to him. Everyone wins under that scenario.

Dan Campbell

Quote from: John Spikowski on July 23, 2013, 09:04:38 PM
I think the best solution is for Vivian to contract Jose to help them through this mess and release the source to him. Everyone wins under that scenario.

Hear, hear!

José Roca

Patrice Terrier

With all my respect for José, he is not an asm guru nor the messiah...

added: cross posting with josé ;)
Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

John Spikowski

I think the best solution is for Vivian to contract José Roca & Charles Pegge to help them through this mess and release the source to them. Everyone wins under that scenario.

If they can afford it, contract Patrice to do their IDE/GUI designer.

I'm sure if Bob could read this he would reply with his approval.

Jeff Radue

Given that Bob was never  very open about development issues, I don't know who anyone can assume the state of PB's programming power. I do know that they have never been in a hurry to release new products until they were substantially ready. Perhaps a lesson even MS could learn from.

Bernhard Fomm

There are also the worst case.

As a German customer, I would have liked at least a reference to powerbasic.de. The German PB partner was not informed. This is really bad.

I still hope...

Barry Marks

I wonder if all this caught the PB staff by surprise just as it did us.  I find it a little hard to believe they would just shut down and move without some preliminary explanation.  These aren't foolish people.

It could be that they had a smooth transition planned and it went wrong.  That can happen.  I'm sure everyone here has had a plan fail.

We probably should wait to find out what really happened before we start pointing out their thoughtlessness.

Barry