• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

PowerBasic Forum down (20.07.2013)

Started by Theo Gottwald, July 20, 2013, 09:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Mattias

QuoteAnybody know where Steve Rossel went ?

Support quality was never the same when he left

Actually it was never the same after Dave Navarro and Lance Edmonds left.

MCM

Michael Mattias

Just noticed...

It's pretty cool to be identified as a 'newbie!' 

John Spikowski

Quote64 bit systems are just 32 bit systems that are twice as wide. Anyone who thinks 64 is superior to 32 is just plain in ignorance of how machine architecture works. Yes, it is speedier. Yes, it does work with a wider data path. But, for the most part, 32 bit applications will probably run just as fast as 64 bit applications due to architecture.

Taking ScriptBasic from 32 bit to 64 bit was a gcc compiler switch. Advantage of being based on ANSI/ISO C and the standard ALL C compilers must adhere to if they want to be classified as a compiler.

Mike Stefanik

Quote from: Colin Glenn on July 24, 2013, 11:00:03 PM
64 bit systems are just 32 bit systems that are twice as wide. Anyone who thinks 64 is superior to 32 is just plain in ignorance of how machine architecture works. Yes, it is speedier. Yes, it does work with a wider data path. But, for the most part, 32 bit applications will probably run just as fast as 64 bit applications due to architecture.

This is going off topic, but that really depends on the application. If you're talking about end-user desktop type business applications, then you're right, 64-bit isn't going to provide a significant performance improvement. Those types of programs don't usually require large amounts of memory or other system resources and they tend to be keyboard bound (i.e.: they spend most of their time just waiting for the user to do something with the keyboard or mouse). On the other hand, if you're talking about a service, or something that performs very computationally expensive operations (e.g.: high-end graphics, complex data modeling, etc.) that's when 64-bit support becomes important.
Mike Stefanik
sockettools.com

Börje Hagsten

Quote from: Bernhard Fomm on July 24, 2013, 10:18:53 PM
The forum is offline.

Once upon a time a software called PowerBasic OFFline Search was created for days like these (actually mostly for those of us who had slow and expensive pay-per-minute connections, but anyway..). A bit old and outdated now, but together with Google it can hopefully help PB'ers get by until the PB forums are up and running again. And then there are these fine forums provided by José, of course. :)

Bernhard Fomm

Sure. There are always ways. Not only the forum back online.

Guy Dombrowski

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on July 24, 2013, 11:11:25 PM
Guy--

Steve Rossel had the opportunity to retire earlier to spend more time with his kids and he could not let pass it up.

Steve was not that old ???

Most of us old PB programmers could have been his father !

Richard Angell

Mike,

Roadmaps can be a sales tool and any competition will know where you are going too ... if they think it is valid.  Roadmaps can also be a way to hedge sales, like MS and others have done for years, but delivered the goods much later.   However PB did say, in so many words,  Bob left plans that go far into the future, so you can safely bet those have internal and quite likely other private discussions. We do know 64 bit is on the table.  We also know that PB must look at the changing market and make decisions based on resources like any other company.  But I would not hold my breath for roadmaps, they have been requested many times before.  Planning on a software development roadmap is risky at best IMO.  CPUs do far better at meeting  roadmaps . LOL

Gary Beene

Borje,
QuoteOnce upon a time a software called PowerBasic OFFline Search was created for days like these
And exactly the reason gbThreads was written.  I've been happily doing forum searches the last few days, using the offline. current thread files that I download regularly.  Hasn't everyone?  ;D

Brice Manuel

Some of the comments here and in the other thread have surprised me, as they are coming from people older than me that should know better.  Whether somebody liked Bob or not and had a beef with him is now irrelevant, as Bob is no longer here.  Whatever negative feelings somebody may have had for Bob should NOT be transferred to Jim or anybody else at PB, they do not deserve it.

With the way Bob "ran things", I feel pretty safe in saying the person now in charge, is who he thought should be in charge.  Jim said (paraphrasing from memory), that he is an analyst, a programmer and a teacher and that some of the issues he has had to deal with are not in his realm of expertise.  Perhaps Bob saw something in Jim, that Jim does not yet see in himself, but Jim is where he is, because it is what Bob wanted.  Has Jim stumbled?  Yes, and he openly admitted it.  He has also hired people to handle the things that he said were not his strengths.  That is the right thing to do and he is doing what he can to make sure these issues do not arise again.

PB has an "Inc." in its company name.  Jim does have people to answer to, unlike somebody working from home who turns out a free scripting BASIC that nobody uses.  This is the second move for PB that I am aware of.  After an initial downsizing to regroup and plan for the future, PB Inc, is now growing again and expanding.  Again, the right thing to do, and what any rational person would do under the circumstances. 

PB has moved and they are having phone problems and internet problems.  This is NOT uncommon in Florida, and it happens to many businesses in Florida when they move.

Quote from: Colin Glenn on July 24, 2013, 11:00:03 PM
64 bit systems are just 32 bit systems that are twice as wide. Anyone who thinks 64 is superior to 32 is just plain in ignorance of how machine architecture works. Yes, it is speedier. Yes, it does work with a wider data path. But, for the most part, 32 bit applications will probably run just as fast as 64 bit applications due to architecture.

Comments like this show a lack of understanding of processor architecture.  "Twice as wide" is just as disingenuous as those who say the only benefit is "access to more RAM".  I outlined the key benefits here.  For example, GPR space is quadrupled, not doubled.  PB still does not take proper advantage of SSE because it needs to run on grossly archaic 32-bit CPUs.  Although SSE is itself getting old, there is ZERO excuse for the 64-bit version of PB not fully taking advantage of the SSE instructions as every 64-bit processor will support it.  If you are dealing with games, graphics, video or audio processing, 64-bit is a must.  Even many server applications need 64-bit for the RAM advantages.  32-bit systems have not been sold in years and the majority of Windows 7 systems on store shelves came with the 64-bit version installed.  However, the lack of multi-platform support is just as, if not more so, detrimental to the future of any compiler than what the lack of 64-bit support is.

Quote from: Guy Dombrowski on July 24, 2013, 10:48:29 PM
Anybody know where Steve Rossel went ?

Back in February, Jim told me that Steve was now an off site programmer.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on July 24, 2013, 07:11:52 PM
I was thinking more to the comeback of THIII .

IBasic died after TGH3 bought it and found he was in over his head and did not have the talent or skill to maintain a programming language.  He then abandoned his users and the product and he simply left with no notice.  Not to mention all the people who placed orders and never received the products they paid for.  That would be the death of PB, a fate which PB does NOT deserve.

Gary Beene

Cool beans!  The PowerBASIC forum is back online!

José Roca

Why are you so fast? I was going to annouce it! :)

Patrice Terrier

QuoteSteve was not that old ???

Guy--

Steve is 45.

Jim--

He is a real person, and lurking this forum from time to time.
Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Guy Dombrowski

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on July 25, 2013, 08:53:58 AM
QuoteSteve was not that old ???

Guy--

Steve is 45.

Patrice--

And I am 73