• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

CSED Editor 1.03 <> legacy SED Editor 2.03

Started by Hubert Brandel, December 07, 2012, 01:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hubert Brandel

I am a little confused if "CSED Editor 1.03" is a newer version of "SED Editor 2.03" ?

José Roca

The code is completely different. SED was a collaborative work where several people apported code, but I have lost contact with almost all of them. I wrote CSED from scratch using new techniques that are important to me, such being fully High DPI aware (the old SED is almost unusable in my system), unicode support via utf8 (important to PBer's that don't use languages whose alphabet comes from Latin), etc. Next version will also use Direct2D for rendering the text, PNGs for rendering the toolbar icons at the proper size using any DPI setting without having to use a resource file with a lot of icons with different sizes, and some small changes more.

Patrice Terrier

QuoteNext version will also use Direct2D for rendering the text
sounds interresting, and you will be probably the first to use D2D it in a text editor. :)
Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Theo Gottwald

Again Jose shows the newest technology in his program.

What is Dominic doing in Phoenix 3?
I think he's also using some tricks in his new Text-Control.
I have heared that he has done a lot to make it unbeatable fast.
The most easy way would be probably to just get a copy of his Edit-control.

Patrice Terrier

I have been using D2D text in graphic applications, but i would had never used it in a text editor, hence the reason why i am very currious.

The problem for phoenix is that it is coming too late in a small dying market.

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

José Roca

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on December 08, 2012, 08:10:55 AM
QuoteNext version will also use Direct2D for rendering the text
sounds interresting, and you will be probably the first to use it in a text editor. :)

I have it already working. Provides higher quality antialiased drawing in Windows 7. Both the GUI elements and the text look as crisp as in FireFox, instead of somewhat fuzzy like the current PB editor.

José Roca

CSED is also quite fast because buffers drawing. However, the merit must go to the authors of the Scintilla control, not to me.

I have also done small improvements like removing flicker in the menu and toolbar when doing a replace all or scrolling text.

Also, don't forget that my editor supports 19 characters sets and you can write WYSIWYG comments and string literals if you check the "Use unicode option", as well as WYSIWYG finds and find/replace.

José Roca

> Again Jose shows the newest technology in his program.

It is a bit silly to buy high definition monitors and have your programs looking fuzzier than before because you don't make them High DPI aware and leave Windows to run them virtualized.

Theo Gottwald

I am sure its a good idea to use this.
As i see it we'll soon get a new PB-Editor.
Does it have 1-pxel-scrolling (smooth scrolling) also?
I remember we had that on 8-bit computers long trime ago. :-)

Zlatko Vid

I am confused to ...
On which system old SED not work,i still using XSED on win7 32bit and work fine.
And where i can find old SED source code..
thanks

José Roca

Does not work well if used with a DPI higher than 96.

I don't have a copy of the source code. Maybe somebody will have it. I doubt it will compile with the current compiler without doing many changes.