• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

ADO vs ODBC

Started by Haakon Birkeland, April 12, 2011, 11:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haakon Birkeland

Before plunging into using PB with Ms Access, I felt like being quite sure if ADO or ODBC would be my/the best choice. Practically seeking some advice on benefits and pitfalls to be aware of before making a final choice. I might have missed finding what I need, but I have looked around for it.

It is very possible that the application will need to fetch data from a Ms SQL database as well, and most probably import and export through Excel-files will be needed. In the future the Access database might be upscaled to Ms SQL as well.

These things are leaning me towards ADO/ADOX, but I'd like to have anyone's experience and thoughts ...

José Roca

DAO has been deprecated and although it works fine with Windows 32-bit, there is not a version for Windows 64-bit. Therefore, it has no future.

I think that the best choice is ADO, but don't use ADOX if the application has to be upgraded to MS SQL, because ADOX only works with Access.

Haakon Birkeland

QuoteDAO has been deprecated ...
I know, that's why I changed the topic — but forgot to check the text as well. (Altered now).
It's not always easy to have all those acronyms in the head and have the right one come out. 8o)

My intention was to "compare" ADO(X) and ODBC. — My days with VB and DAO is over.

The issue with ADOX not being able to manipulate schema objects in MS SQL is a valuable little
piece of information to be aware of, although only data alteration is necessary for the application
in mind.