• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

Are there any ready-made functions for listing objects?

Started by Dan Campbell, July 17, 2013, 12:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Campbell

Hi,

Happy with PBCC for the most part.  But one of the limitations of the debugger, is that objects show up as not displayed.

Are there any ready-made functions that will display the names and values of object properties, and the names of methods, to the console, that can be used during a debugging session?

Theo Gottwald

Dan Campbell

Thanks, Theo.  Taking a break from this, and focusing on other parts of the app.

Will decide later whether to use a different language, with an ide that has built-in support for the display of their objects.

Frederick J. Harris

The COM Apis have various functions for returning all of the information concerning COM objects, for example, the members of the ITypeInfo interface.  That's how Type Library Browsers work.  I will say its rather involved, and integrating that into a debugger likely wouldn't be trivial.   

Dan Campbell

Quote from: Frederick J. Harris on July 22, 2013, 06:07:28 PM
The COM Apis have various functions for returning all of the information concerning COM objects, for example, the members of the ITypeInfo interface.  That's how Type Library Browsers work.  I will say its rather involved, and integrating that into a debugger likely wouldn't be trivial.

I'm sure it's a complicated effort, but it's the kind of thing I expect in a debugger & ide.  From what I understand, many of these IDEs get their information from the typelib tlb file, at least for the external com libraries.

The other non-basic IDEs I've worked with, probably have non-COM native objects, internal to the language.  So it might be easier for them to display the structure & values of objects, at will.

But - I don't care.  Will continue to work with PB in the meantime, but will be looking elsewhere, while hopeful that better debugging support is implemented in the future.