• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

extending SQL

Started by Chris Holbrook, August 24, 2013, 11:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

José Roca

No. That version does not support classes.

John Spikowski

My chances of upgrading to 6 are nil. I can't even get support to give me a reason they approved then ban me and I didn't do anything wrong.

You're in a tough spot. If your includes and libraries only support 10/6, many are still on the fence if they should upgrade due to current circumstances.

Chris Holbrook

Quote from: John Spikowski on August 25, 2013, 11:10:22 PM
QuoteWhat I'm looking for is a scripting language which extends SQL in the direction of the UI.

Did you check out the IUP cross platform extension module for SB? Easy SQLite & GUI API sounds to me like what you were looking for.
your wiki page for iup appears empty. Maybe I looked in the wrong place.

John Spikowski

The IUP GUI toolkit extension module is new for SB and the plan is to make it part of the ScriptBasic 2.2 release. Here are a few links to help you evaluate IUP and where I'm currently at with it. Charles (DLLC) has done some real magic with allowing IUP to run in a threaded environment with a shared callback handler to SB script functions. (IUP is not thread safe as it stands)

A customer master file maintenance screen I did with IUP in SB.

Early IUP / SB development

And the IUP extension module link you mentioned

I would be happy to assist getting you up to speed with SB/IUP/DLLC if this looks like something that will work for you.

Chris Holbrook

John, Thanks for your prompt reply!

Your links were of interest and I shall certainly keep ScriptBasic in my sights.

Not sure about UIP. My UIs are very, er, retro-looking, and have to stay that way, although I have sneaked in a few features over the years - colour, for example. Very unlike the windows CC or modern widgety look. I draw them with PB Graphics, could have used a GDI class. Patrice suggests above to use OpenGL 2D, bit of a tank to shoot a rabbit, but it is available on both windows and ~UX.

On balance I think that I shall press on with PB for the 2014 version, then look again at alternative platforms and how to reach them. At least I know that will cover the Windows part of the estate until 2025, though by that time Windows  may be the smallest slice!

John Spikowski

Thanks for having a peek.

It's good to have options.

José Roca

> You're in a tough spot.

No, I'm not. These includes use key features of the latest compilers, such classes, unicode and dead code removal.

John Spikowski

There is no question the value of your offering. My point is you need a current version of PB to take advantage of them. Maybe PB needs to have a sale to get those on the fence to make a move.