• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

The compiler advantage

Started by John Spikowski, August 11, 2013, 07:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy Dombrowski

John,

Do you mean that my old QB45 programs could work in an Android OS ?

John Spikowski

Running in a DOSBox on Android Linux OS, should work great. All the QB45 examples I tried  (source and compiled) run great.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet - full res portrait mode

John Spikowski

Works great!

FYI The version of C4droid I'm using hasn't been released yet. Google Play version is SDL 1.2 and I don't know if the DOSBox example is include / works under that version. Feel free to grab my compiled copy until your can generate your own DOSBox APK.

43/50 mode

PBDOS 3.5 on fire

Chris Holbrook

Quote from: José Roca on August 20, 2013, 05:34:30 PMI no longer care.
Nil carborundum José!

By using COM, often following your examples,  I have proved to myself that it is fast and compact enough - not that my applications are very demanding of the machine. Even though as an OOP coder I had to sulk for a while about the inheritance "problem".

PB has attracted a lot of reactionary users. I blame the licencing model, it is too democratic.

Chris Holbrook

Quote from: Guy Dombrowski on August 21, 2013, 02:11:30 AM
John,

Do you mean that my old QB45 programs could work in an Android OS ?
Yes. My PB ones do, and I carry a demonstration application on my phone. A keyboard is advisable!

John Spikowski

Chris,

Have you been running DOSBox prior to my post? Reason I ask is I'm looking for feedback with this cutting edge SDL 2 version and if anyone notices any performance differences with my version being native compiled.

John

José Roca

Quote from: Chris Holbrook on August 21, 2013, 05:09:27 PM
Quote from: José Roca on August 20, 2013, 05:34:30 PMI no longer care.
Nil carborundum José!

By using COM, often following your examples,  I have proved to myself that it is fast and compact enough - not that my applications are very demanding of the machine. Even though as an OOP coder I had to sulk for a while about the inheritance "problem".

PB has attracted a lot of reactionary users. I blame the licencing model, it is too democratic.

I'm not talking about writing COM servers or classes, but about using COM to use the servers provided by the operating system. Once upon a time, M$ used to provide both flat APIs and COM servers for its technologies, but no longer. Therefore, to use them, you have to use COM. There is no choice. In these times of high resolution screens, it is frustrating to see programs that are not High DPI aware and graphic applications that use the obsolete GDI. My headers provide support for DirectX, Direct2D, DirectWrite, Windows Image Component, etc., but only Patrice has tried it.

Edwin Knoppert

And many of us won't care until they get forced..
So give up the 'fight' :)

Anyway, fun to see QB on such a device..

James C. Fuller

José,
  Be it known that there is no better solution, that I am aware, for creating COM object's than PowerBASIC
I believe Fred will attest to that.

James

John Spikowski

As I understand it SysWOW64 is an emulation and Windows 64 bit is the predominant code base. Is M$ only investing in 64 bit COM going forward and PB's COM is doomed to a 32 bit emulated COM base?

Quote from: Edwin
Anyway, fun to see QB on such a device.

I think it's more fun than most of the games out there and one app (DOSBox) plays many sub-apps (DOS programs) that you already said goodbye to. Sort of like seeing your first love again after 20 years and realizing she wasn't all that bad.  :)

Karma -79 Looks like a lot of hurting PB'ers out there. Based on what I've seen with Patrice's awaking from being a PB zombie is there still remains a desire to save the rest even though the attempt may be futile.

José Roca

As I understand it SysWOW64 is an emulation and Windows 64 bit is the predominant code base. Is M$ only investing in 64 bit COM going forward and PB's COM is doomed to a 32 bit emulated COM base?

No. There are 32 bit servers and 64 bit servers. The operating system knows which ones to use.

Chris Holbrook

Quote from: John Spikowski on August 21, 2013, 05:27:21 PMHave you been running DOSBox prior to my post?
Installed on my phone about 18 months ago.

John Spikowski

Chris,

Would you be willing to give my version of DOSBox a try and let me know what you think?

John

John Spikowski

QuoteNo. There are 32 bit servers and 64 bit servers. The 64 bit operating system knows which ones to use.

José,

Just hear me out. I know you're frustrated and disappointed that your efforts aren't more widely used but if you were willing to try and save your includes, wouldn't a 32/64 bit O2 version be more attractive?  Using an open source compiler will require less magic on your part.

John

José Roca

C++ compilers already have headers and I'm no currently interested in other dialects of BASIC. Besides, I'm not a supporter of open source.