• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

JAVA-Assembler JASMIN (ASM-Emulator for playing with ASM)

Started by Theo Gottwald, August 01, 2013, 08:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theo Gottwald

JASMIN

How is this thing really used?
I do not see any executable, just JAVA FILES.

John Spikowski

QuoteHow is this thing really used?
I do not see any executable, just JAVA FILES.

It runs in a Jave VM. (JRE)

Theo Gottwald

Do i have to drop the files into IE or HOW do you practically run them?

John Spikowski

QuoteDo i have to drop the files into IE or HOW do you practically run them?

They have to be packaged in a JAR file and the application executed with JRE. (should run on all platforms)

Vincent van der Leun

Interesting. I'm a Java developer (planning to be certified this year), but have not come across JASMIN yet.

Here I found some instructions http://jasmin.sourceforge.net/guide.html

Assuming you've installed the JRE or JDK and downloaded the "jasmin.jar" file, you can run the GUI with the following command:

java -jar jasmin.jar

If you just downloaded the Jasmin source (.java files), I believe the easiest way to create the Jar file is to use Eclipse, as no Ant or Maven build script is provided,  just the Eclipse-specific .jardesc file. I am one of those who prefer NetBeans for Java development, so I can't try it on the Mac I'm typing this on.

John Spikowski

QuoteInteresting. I'm a Java developer (planning to be certified this year), but have not come across JASMIN yet.

Would you have any interest in helping out with the JAPI project? We are trying to update the JAPI library to swing which is half baked at the moment. (doesn't play well with themes) There are multiple BASIC projects interested in using the library if a working swing version existed.

Theo Gottwald

Thanks Vincent, that was clearly the way to use it.
Possibly interesting for people who want to learn ASM.

Vincent van der Leun

Quote from: John Spikowski on August 03, 2013, 06:56:36 PM
Would you have any interest in helping out with the JAPI project?

I would be moare than willing to take a look... looks like an interesting project.
Unfortunately I've not used Swing for awhile, but perhaps I could refresh my memory.

John Spikowski

That's great news!

I have done the first past on updating the JAPI library by elimination the deprecated functions and replacing them with the new swing syntax. I posted on the retro game forum hoping Marcs (Naalaa author) would pickup where I left off. Seems Java isn't his main interest.

If you would like to pick this up on the www.allbasic.info developer forum, I would be happy follow your lead. (testing, documentation, ...)

If you're really serious about this, I would setup JAPI2.COM that I registered and hosting on my server. (nothing there yet) I could setup a forum or interactive blog (your choice) and see where this takes us. The nice thing about JAPI is it runs on all platforms and is a breeze to interface with.