• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

Anybody use VirtualBox?

Started by Brice Manuel, June 04, 2010, 09:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brice Manuel

Does anybody have any experience with VirtualBox?  Is it less problematic that Microsoft's Virtual PC?

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit so I do not have XP mode.  I have several different software programs that I need to run that just do not work under any 64-bit versions of Windows.  It is not my system, there are known issues with these 32-bit programs under WoW64 (as I said elsewhere, the emulation is far from perfect).  In particular, I am really going crazy not being able to run BBW 5.5.

I have been reading articles on both VM packages, but would prefer feedback from hands on users?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

John Thompson

I do and I love it.  I also run Windows XP and Ubuntu.  I've played around with other OSs to try them out without devoting an entire computer.  They keep adding new features.  And, being free, it's hard to beat.

Edwin Knoppert

VMware is the better one (speed) but was always a problem to reconfigure settings.
The later player versions are easier to reconfigure.
I like MS VPC much for it's configuration but is the slowest.

Theo Gottwald

It doesn't have the nice features of VWare, beeing able to drag and drop files in and out of it. You have to use shared drives. About the rest .. for most cases I would not see so much differences.
They say they support DirectX and graphics hardware a bit better.

Brice Manuel

Thank you guys.  Other than the power going out for three hours in the middle of installing VirtualBox (which corrupted my Windows install), I managed to get VirtualBox setup without too much pain and suffering.  I happily have APBA Baseball for Windows (which I haven't been able to run since installing Windows 7 64) running under VBox , so I am very happy. 

I haven't tried my other problematic 32-bit software yet.