• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

I must be one of those "half brain" guy

Started by Patrice Terrier, June 01, 2010, 04:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brice Manuel

QuoteWe now have an answer, Tom Hanlin just wrote on the PB forum:
Thank you for the heads up.  One can only hope that the long awaited Linux version is one of those "projects" that Tom is referring to.

Theo Gottwald

QuoteAnd why the heck, should we always be left behind.

You can answer this yourself, Patrice. The answer is that they managed to clone the sheep named "Dolly" but it didn't work with humans  until now.  Even then they can not start programming right out of the box. ;D

Theo Gottwald

QuoteWenn ich das so sehe gräbt sich Bob den Boden under den Füßen auf dem er steht. Weil alle eine Programierpause machen und nur Manche wieder zurück kommen

Hoffentlich ist jetzt niemand sauer auf mich!!

@Peter: ich habe in meinem Unterforum sogar einen deutschen Bereich eignerichtet, aber da ist wenig los.
Böse sind wir nur wenn Leute persönlich angegriffen werden.
Ansosnten sehe ich das so wie du auch, aber das Problem ist, dass PB eine kleine Firma ist und nicht beliebig viele Projekte parallel betreiben kann.

Wer selbst in oder für  eine kleine Firma arbeitet kennt das.

Theo Gottwald

QuotePureBasic does it:

Windows 32bit and 64bit
Linux 32bit and 64bit
MacOSX both Intel and PowerPC
As far as I know PureBasic is a very small company.

Maybe it all depends on the development environment used to develop the compiler. Can it be?

If i need to do something in x64, then Purebasic 64 is actually what i take.

Its very moderate in price and after all works.
And i would say its now much better then it was Years before.

But then ... no GOSUB .. see my articles on this topic here:

http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php?board=381.0

Purebasic - for me - is only a time-sollution until i get the thing from Bob.

The Purebasic developer Fred, has many people to work with him and for him.
This leads to a high innovation rate.
My impression is, that they develope the thing a bit in direction of a "Game-Basic".
3D Engine and such stuff. I personally don't need this.

The Compiler has a 100% different structure compared with Powerbasic.
This enables it to be ported to LINUX, MAC-OS etc. in minutes.
Its quite something else.

As a result there is no real GOSUB, its just another structure inside.
I am sure there are people out there who will swear on Purebasic,
but once used to Powerbasic its a too big step into another philosophy for me.

Brice Manuel

QuoteMy impression is, that they develope the thing a bit in direction of a "Game-Basic".
3D Engine and such stuff. I personally don't need this.
The gaming side is mediocre at best.  The 3D engine is pretty much useless.  Ogre is a decent engine, but PureBasic's Ogre implementation lacks a lot of functionality.  This is something that has supposedly been going to be addressed for several years, but like the GUI designer, it is something that never actually gets done.  Although I always get flamed for saying this, PureBasic is extremely buggy and they never concentrate on only fixing bugs.  Bug fixes always coincide with new features, which introduce new problems (and often break existing features which previously worked fine) and it turns into a never ending cycle.

I still maintain some PureB projects that use version 3.94 which was very stable (also the EXEs were much smaller back then) ;)

Anybody wanting an OS X supporting BASIC, should take a look at Objective-Basic.

Theo Gottwald

QuoteSystem Requirements
Objective-Basic requires Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6 or higher).

I don't have it at hand  ;D

Reminds me that i just like Powerbasic because it works. With windows.
There are just some of these moments when i think "This time it must be the compiler - it can't be My code!"
But then after all it was my code.

PowerBasic is just BUGFREE. Whatever things i do with it.

James C. Fuller

Quote from: Theo Gottwald on June 25, 2010, 06:57:58 AM
QuoteSystem Requirements
Objective-Basic requires Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6 or higher).

I don't have it at hand  ;D

There are just some of these moments when i think "This time it must be the compiler - it can't be My code!"

I agree Theo. While I do code with a number of basic languages in the Open Source community I would NEVER use any of them for a paying contract endeavor.

James

Patrice Terrier

I think we all agree on this, and it is the reason why i am using it in my commercial addons.  ;)

Nonobstant, it should not sleep on its laurel  ;D

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Theo Gottwald on June 25, 2010, 06:57:58 AM

I agree and is why I use it.  The only bug I ever encountered with PB was fixed quickly.  Although there are some features I wish PB had, I honestly have no complaints with PB itself.  It is the best ;D

That said, I have been struggling with how to do two things in PB for the past few months and I just can't figure it out.  It is to the point, I am considering moving these projects to another programming language. :-\

Steve Rossell

Quote from: Brice Manuel on June 25, 2010, 06:21:37 PM
That said, I have been struggling with how to do two things in PB for the past few months and I just can't figure it out.  It is to the point, I am considering moving these projects to another programming language. :-\
Why not post them as questions on the PowerBASIC Forums or send an email to PowerBASIC support?

Brice Manuel

I want to stress that there is no problem with PB, the problem is 100% me not knowing/understanding how to do what I need to do with PB.  Unfortunately, in programming for Windows since 3.1 the languages I used were VB, Delphi and C++ Builder.  Anytime I used VC++ I was either using the Octopod IDE (which was very C++ Builder-like) or dealing with game engines like Legus3D, LithTech or Twilight3D.  This means almost no experience dealing directly with Windows API which is what I need to do as DDT currently doesn't support two things I need for a couple of projects I have been working on and have now ground to a halt.

Anyway, I am one of those "half brain" guys so I guess the half of my brain that is missing is the half that has the solutions ;D

QuoteI think we all agree on this, and it is the reason why i am using it in my commercial addons.
In my spare time, I have been playing around with rewriting something in PB that I originally started in EB but never finished due to it being too slow.  So far the results in PB are beyond amazing.