• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

News:

Attachments are only available to registered users.
Please register using your full, real name.

Main Menu

Future of powerbasic

Started by Sutthisak Phongthanapanic, September 01, 2013, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Hutchesson

I think Gary has the right idea, especially with some encouragement, stop treating the language as crippleware and start producing some decent API, ASM, whatever else goes fast style of code. Just happens to be that the forum went down, maybe maintainance ?

Patrice Terrier

Hutch--

After two years of automatic flying mode, comes the time of the forced landing.

And Gary while a good guy is not the pilot of the plain.

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Steve Hutchesson

Hi Patrice,

It certainly does not look like anything is going to happen in a hurry and that is if it ever happens but it bothers me little in that the 2 compilers work well and few have exploited their potential. I have this sense of humour that BASIC holds your hot little hand, API code will rap you over the knuckles while assembler will bite your hand. At least the "beached whales" syndrome appears to have faded with them and the folks that are left actually want to write some decent code at last without the endless whining about more and more "intrinsics" and further changes to the compilers to make them more like VB6.

Mike Stefanik

I think the biggest problem is the "radio silence" from the PowerBASIC staff and their marketing efforts seem to be non-existent lately. It's always seemed to have been positioned as a BASIC compiler targeted towards the business/professional developer, but they seem to be falling behind the curve there and I'm not sure they have the resources to change things.

I've personally reached out to see if there's something that we could do together with SocketTools and PowerBASIC and there doesn't seem to be any interest at all from them.
Mike Stefanik
sockettools.com

Patrice Terrier

QuoteIt's always seemed to have been positioned as a BASIC compiler targeted towards the business/professional developer

Not anymore, because business/professional developer are very pragmatic.
And a compiler should be just a tool, not a religion.  ???

Patrice Terrier

Theo Gottwald

Patrice, if we get philosophical,
that opens the question if "a religion should be a religion (in your sense)".
I always say that religions are good and needed to organize a working society.
;D

Is anybody here, who believes that we will see a PB 11 or PB x64 soon?

Marc Pons

::)

Who cares about PB 11 , what is important for the business is PB for x64 and/or PB for linux

even a free tool like freebasic is going in that direction ...

Patrice Terrier

QuoteIs anybody here, who believes that we will see a PB 11 or PB x64 soon?
Just consider the facts, objectively, and you will have the answer.

Patrice Terrier

Frederick J. Harris

What have you been using for your x64 work Theo?

Patrice Terrier

PureBasic uses another proprietary syntax that is not portable from one language to another, kind of super DDT full of Gadgets :)

Patrice Terrier

José Roca

Cross-platform compilers need to do that, because the Windows API only works in Windows. Applications that call the Windows API directly aren't portable to other platforms.

Mike Stefanik

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on November 07, 2014, 03:46:13 AM
PureBasic uses another proprietary syntax that is not portable from one language to another, kind of super DDT full of Gadgets :)

Not to mention that it's not a particularly BASIC-like implementation of the language. Of course, the same thing could be said about Visual Basic as well.
Mike Stefanik
sockettools.com

Tom Perkins

Quote from: Mike Stefanik on November 13, 2014, 11:42:40 PMOf course, the same thing could be said about Visual Basic as well.
But PureBasic is still universally used and still close to the original standard instruction set. Look what has all changed in the meantime, the hardware, the operating systems, the computing power, the Internet and the entire software environment. Requirements and target groups are constantly changing, old structures break up and regroup. Under these circumstances, it is normal if the compiler is developed in line with new challenges. The root is still BASIC!

Frederick J. Harris

PureBasic uses another proprietary syntax that is not portable from one language to another, kind of super DDT full of Gadgets

I imagine it can be used like PowerBASIC though, making direct Api calls, while ignoring the 'super DDT full of gadgets'?