• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

Future of powerbasic

Started by Sutthisak Phongthanapanic, September 01, 2013, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theo Gottwald

Then why not look in the PB Forum in "Consultants wanted?".
Get a project and tell them you need a computer.
There should be enough work there for somebody with programming Skills.

Brice Manuel

QuoteThen why not look in the PB Forum in "Consultants wanted?".
I am not a member of the PB forums, so I can't make a "looking for work" post there.  Given the small handful of users still using the forum, it would fall on blind eyes.  You do seem to be the eternal optimist about PB, but it seems everybody but you and a very small handful of others have moved on.  Most simply can't afford to wait this out.  It is okay to "let go", Theo.  It doesn't mean you hate PB if you move on.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Tom Hanlin on December 14, 2013, 07:27:23 AMIt's designed to accommodate.
I just wish it was designed to edit code.  Once you hit around 52,000 lines of code, the IDE goes bunnyfutters and it can't handle anymore and you can actually lose some code due to the IDE not being able to handle anything remotely large (or save it or open it).  Another major shortcoming is the syntax coloring is made useless because you can't set the entire background to be a specific color and get rid of the white that is so hard on the eyes.  You can only set the background color for specific things.

Jon Eskdale

I Don't understand why you would have 52000 lines of code in the same file without using include files - or is it a problem including the include files.  Although I don't really see why anyone would use the standard IDE when there are better options such as the Free and excellent CSED by Jose and the FireFly and Phoenix 3 environments.

Brice Manuel

QuoteI Don't understand why you would have 52000 lines of code in the same file without using include files - or is it a problem including the include files
Normally you wouldn't, but when you are using an IDE without proper project management, you waste a lot of time opening and closing individual files when they are needed as you are fighting the IDE trying to use it in a way it was not designed to be used.  Of course with code folding a single source file is much more manageable.  This is the 21st century.  The severe limit on lines of code is definitely a holdover from the 20th century that is simply not acceptable for an IDE for any language.

QuoteAlthough I don't really see why anyone would use the standard IDE when there are better options such as the Free and excellent CSED by Jose and the FireFly and Phoenix 3 environments.
That everyone uses something else really speaks to how problematic the official IDE is.  A company should not aim to drive people to other products through doing things half-assed.  Keep in mind that PowerBASIC is used in the corporate environment.  In some settings the user simply would not have the ability to install a third-party IDE.  PowerBASIC has always been marketed as a professional product, and it is a professional-grade compiler, but the IDE is a very poor representation of the product and does not share the same level of professionalism of the compiler.

Gary Beene

Patrice, OMG!  Something we absolutely agree on!
Quote... least an USB key in the pocket, i learned this the hard way too
I keep a copy of my main developmental folder on my SSD, on 2nd mechanical hard drive in my PC, on 2 different flash drives, and on DVDs.  I also have an external hard drive that I use for backup and keep it in a fireproof safe.  When I go on travel or to a client's site, I take a backup flash drive with me. When I'm coding a project, I back up the project pretty much hourly and keep all backups forever in my development folder.  I also keep a backup flash drive at a separate physical location in case my house gets totally destroyed (tornados do this in these parts).

Backup, backup, backup!  Multiple options.

Carlo Pagani

:o Backup backup backup? SSD/USB - So yesterday. Cloud {Cubby / Skydrive / Dropbox}. I use Cubby and it will copy every edit you save to a new version. Yes, I do keep source replicate on 3 machines too but there are so many products that can make life so much easier than carting media around!

Patrice Terrier

Then what if the whole internet collapse  8)

Make me think to the cows accustomed to electric milking machine, they couldn't be milked anymore by hand.  :o

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Theo Gottwald

We will see if she is right ...

Predictions for 2014

Quotehe United States is in for a string of natural calamities. What is worse, a nationwide split is on the horizon, which may mark the beginning of the end of the United States as we know it today.
Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_12_14/Soothsaying-in-snowbound-Cairo-Egyptian-prophet-Joy-Ayad-makes-forecasts-for-2014-9625/

i would not travel to USA in Q2/Q3 in 2014.

Carlo Pagani

QuoteThen what if the whole internet collapse

Patrice, I for one convert from non practising Catholic and become practising Amish! :o

Patrice Terrier

Yes, autarcic people would probably be the survivals.  :)
Patrice Terrier

Frederick J. Harris

The topic 'Future of PowerBASIC' has had 18702 views.  Is there any topic on this forum with more???  At least some folks are interested.

Patrice Terrier

Yes, there is one here with more: BassBox (more than 250 000 views with all the cumulative threads)  :)
Patrice Terrier

Patrice Terrier

Ok, we are now close to the second anniversary of the passing of Bob Zale, and after two years the question is still open.

Patrice Terrier

Peter Weis

Patrice I think the Project PowerBASIC will slowly fall asleep !! pity :D