• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

News:

Attachments are only available to registered users.
Please register using your full, real name.

Main Menu

why do resouces (including dialog) with external rc file?

Started by Paul Breen, November 23, 2009, 03:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Breen

I am not talking about the ddt vs api controversy. I mean the two ways of doing the api. What is the advantage of doing all the gui stuff in an rc file? You could design the dialog, menus etc everything as far I can tell. The good side is that it seperates the gui from the code, but is there a down side? There are so many ways to do these things.

Just curious, I am thinking of upgrading a resource editor, resource builder.

José Roca

Yes, there is a downside: To use these resources you need to use the Dialog Box API, with its limitations, instead of the more powerful SDK windows created with CreateWindoeEx.

The Dialog Box API is what DDT uses under the hood. Therefore, it will be like using DDT with another syntax.

James C. Fuller

Quote from: José Roca on November 23, 2009, 03:46:44 AM

Yes, there is a downside: To use these resources you need to use the Dialog Box API, with its limitations, instead of the more powerful SDK windows created with CreateWindoeEx.

The Dialog Box API is what DDT uses under the hood. Therefore, it will be like using DDT with another syntax.

José,
  By adding a CLASS name in the dialog resource script I believe you can have the best of both worlds??

James

Paul Breen