• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

News:

Attachments are only available to registered users.
Please register using your full, real name.

Main Menu

BassBox

Started by Patrice Terrier, October 08, 2007, 10:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Pegge

Certainly Petr, It is such a major topic, that somewhat stretches the boundaries of BASIC so I have set up a board for GLSL (below Charles Pegge Long Code). I envisage giving this area quite a lot of attention over the next few months.

http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php?board=241.0

But I think the BassBox project is a very good platform for Plugins that can take advantage of  GLSL's subtle shading capabilities, if Patrice is agreeable to this of course.

Petr Schreiber

Yes,

you are right, GLSL plugins would be cool too.

Thanks a lot for creating new board!

Bye,
Petr
AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1GB RAM @ 533MHz | GeForce 6200 / GeForce 9500GT | 32bit Windows XP SP3

psch.thinbasic.com

Patrice Terrier

BassBox is already able to handle multiple textures in full ARGB mode.

For example replace the bg9.gif texture of "Flying the pole" with the attached one

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Charles Pegge

GLSL can do things which are normally too difficult or intensive for static Opengl, fire, smoke,the refractions of running water and the reflection of the sky on a glossy surface  for instance. But I am starting right from the beginning and rejoice when a little square gets colored lime green by a shader program copied from a tutorial.

Shaders use textures as raw data and combine them in exotic ways to get these effects in real-time.

Patrice Terrier

--Charles,

QuoteFor the equates we would need to provide a BBPlugin.h for Plugins written in C  and in the case of Freebasic, a BBPlugin.bi. If the plugins need to use the support functions like GetTextureFromFile then these would also have to be translated.

This might help to extend the audience for BassBox. I hope so.

I can translate one of the Soundscapes into FreeBasic and see if any other issues become apparent.

If you want to translate the BBPlugin.bi to FreeBasic that is fine with me, then i'll do a new zip when you are done.

Now for C, C++ and C#, i am more circonspect, i did post myself about BassBox on codeproject there:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/openGL/_BassBox.aspx
But as you can see, the feedback was almost null and the rating very low, thus i stopped posting the new versions on codeproject.

I did post also on VBFrance and the rating was good as you can see there:
http://www.vbfrance.com/codes/BASSBOX-AUDIO-OPENGL-VISUAL-PLUGINS_44975.aspx 
however i didn't get any feedback of people wanting to write plugins in VB, thus i stopped also to post new versions on VBFrance.

Now about PowerBASIC, except you, Petr and myself, nobody else posted a contribution for BassBox, let's see if FreeBasic programmers could write new plugins.

Note: this post has been edited by myself, to remove a negative comment i did because of a nasty e-mail i got today.
Patrice Terrier

Eros Olmi

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on January 31, 2008, 07:06:38 PM
Looks like most people are just interrested to steal the code without giving anything back, not even a thank you, but i was aware of that already and i accepted it, because of José's.

Why so negative?

It is hard but you have to accept that your code is not the center of the main thougts of the brains walking here and in other places.
I'm not sarcastic here but just realistic because I experience the same feelings many time. But now I see it from another point of view.

If you publish source code, expect other people just get it and forget about you. No thanks, no comments, no interaction to suggestions, nothing.
If you are searching for glory, ok, you can be disappointed. But if you are sharing with great generosity your knowledge you have to be prepared to no feedback at all.
You already got this fantastic thread with many, many, many reply and great participation from 3/4 nice guy. You should be happy about that otherwise your words can be an offence for the value those few guys put in this thread.

And about PB Forum, you already know: all first ladies there so do not expect too much.

Just my opinion.
Keep up the great work you are doing.

Ciao
Eros
thinBasic Script Interpreter - www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community
Win7Pro 64bit - 8GB Ram - Intel i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

Patrice Terrier

--Eros

My contributions are my way to say thank you to José for all the code he shared with us.

I will go on posting there, not for glory but because I like the active members of this small community.
However I would be more than happy if others would also post there, i am not speaking for BassBox, but anything that we could learn from.

Patrice Terrier

Eros Olmi

Patrice,

I perfectly know why you are doing this, you stated it in other posts here. That's why I remained a little confused about your last sentence, especially by the word "stole". But we are all humans and humans can have some up and down in sentiments.

I think we all would like to have more users here sharing the same nice, polite, good, tech atmosphere of this forum. But it takes time.
Personally I prefer to have very few friends than thousands of users bashing all around. Slow-food is better than fast-food.

Ciao
Eros

thinBasic Script Interpreter - www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community
Win7Pro 64bit - 8GB Ram - Intel i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

Patrice Terrier

--Eros

I have edited my negative comment.

Patrice Terrier

Kent Sarikaya

I understand the feelings and thoughts expressed here.

I think all of us who ever put lots of time and effort into a project and are proud of what we created from nothing-- when it is presented, the response from the outside world is usually sort of a let down. I don't think it is from any bad motives.

I think most of us here are from the old days and back then-- anything new we created received attention when we showed it to friends or presented at local computer clubs. There was lots of excitement by what you did, people wanted copies or wanted you to run your application again so they could show it to their friends that they brought over to show this cool thing that you did.

But now with everyone is used to really fantastic things on the computer and the capabilities there, it is hard to get even close to that response from people.

I am always shocked of how hard it is to do something in main programming languages that you can easily do with web based languages. You can have a fantastic web page in very short time full of pictures, sound and video, nice text formats and even animations and very nice fun user interfaces that would be beasts to code in any main stream languages.

Also even on a forum like this you can see the wide array of specialized areas of interest that is available now to all users and creators. So we are all off in our own worlds or areas of interest and this cuts down the amount of users maybe even looking at our work.

I program and learn for my own benefit now more than ever. If I can share my program with a few friends it is a bonus for me in satisfaction.

So don't get down guys and keep up the great job you are doing!!

José Roca

I wish I could participate in the BassBox project, but I know so little about graphics programming that I can't do much more than porting some examples.

The code that Patrice, Charles and Petr are posting is of top quality and hard to digest to PBer's that are still struggling with the DDT graphic control. However, there is it, available to those willing to learn from the masters.

I am always shocked of how hard it is to do something in main programming languages that you can easily do with web based languages. You can have a fantastic web page in very short time full of pictures, sound and video, nice text formats and even animations and very nice fun user interfaces that would be beasts to code in any main stream languages.

I don't want to go off topic, so just a brief comment. One day, probably next year, you will be able to use both Windows controls and web controls to build interactive GUIs in your desktop application. I'm currently working with the Active Scripting technology to allow you to call scripts in the web page from your PB code, and to allow the scripts in the web page to call functions implemented in your PB code.

Charles Pegge

BassBox is a very significant project as a testbed for Vista/XP compatibility and high performance audio-visual software. With its extensive range of SDK technology in one program, I think it could be the basis for many new projects to come. I for one have learnt a huge amount  from Patrice's code. ( Some of my own coding habits belong back in the 80s :) ).

I see real-time 3d being on the cutting edge for a long time to come - and a perfect subject for low level programming. Many of the techniques used are quite esoteric, the reference manuals and other tech literature do not make much sense on their own so we rely on good examples and tutorials to port. To make this task more interesting, much of the material out there contains bugs, obsolete functions or missing components so a certain amount of forensic reconstruction is required.

José, Re: PB GUIs for the web: A very exciting project. I made some attempts a while ago to get COMforDLL to work with VBscripts in Internet Explorer but I think security barriers prevented the script from calling the COM server to which a PB program could be attached.

Patrice, I hope you recover from that nasty troll bite soon!

José Roca

@Charles,

PB GUIs for the web no. Dynamic HTML GUIs for your PB applications.

Petr Schreiber

Hi,

I wish I could do more on BassBox, but I am a bit time limited. So I put things I want to do on paper and then pick them using FIFO approach :D.

I like lot of things on BassBox, its CPU friendlyness, fantastic look of course, pluginability and throwing files on the window. Before I learn all the depths of its source code it will take lot of time, but sure it is very nice experience already.

I know WinAmp for example has its SDK too, but the BassBox one seems easier to me. Still have lot of ideas on plugins, but must wait till I get there on my FIFO paperTM ;)

Bye,
Petr

P.S. Good feature to have would be shuffle :-X
AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1GB RAM @ 533MHz | GeForce 6200 / GeForce 9500GT | 32bit Windows XP SP3

psch.thinbasic.com

Patrice Terrier

I would like to know if anyone there, is using a "Media center" remote control?

I am asking this, to see the opportunity to handle the WM_INPUT message in BassBox.

Patrice Terrier