• Welcome to Theos PowerBasic Museum 2017.

Strange Problem With Lynx Project Explorer

Started by Frederick J. Harris, April 14, 2009, 05:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederick J. Harris

Lynx Project Explorer is my most loved programming accessory that I have been using for many years on countless different computers.  Right now I am having a bad problem with it that has me completely baffled.  I just installed it on a new (used laptop I bought) laptop on which I just put a fresh install of Windows 2000 Pro.  I'm logged on as administrator.  When I follow all the necessary procedures (of which I'm intimately familiar) to set it up, it simply refuses to compile any file whatsoever, using either Jose's includes, or the simpler PowerBASIC includes.  Has anyone ever run into this problem?

When I click the compile button on a simple Hello, World! Gui Api style program it just gives me a permanent hourglass, and when I eventually click the cancel button I get this message...

"Compiler monitor cancelled by user.  Compilation may not be complete."

And when I click the goto error button I get an error MsgBox as follows...

"Error 76 Loading The File C:\Code\PwrBasic\PBWin80\Projects\Forms\Form1\

And thats it.  There is no filename after the path above, which I believe is implicated in the problem.  When I use Lynx I usually use Jose's SED editor with it.  I usually install Lynx in C:\Program Files\Lynx and I usually put Jose's SED editor in C:\Program Files\SED.  I install the PowerBASIC compilers in C:\Program Files too.

Actually, I have seen this problem before, and I believe it may have been related to permissions somehow, as when I saw it I was attempting to use and compile a file while logged onto a Win 2000 computer with just a limited user account instead of the administrator account I'm usually logged in as when I program.  As an aside, I seldom am connected to a network on the computer I use for coding, and usually log in as administrator.

Also, I've compared the contents of the Lnx files created on the computer that won't work with a computer that does and I can't find any differences.  As I said I'm completely baffled.  Has anyone ever seen this problem or know what causes it???

Eros Olmi

I use Lynx since many years on a daily basis but never got something similar.
Lynx just call compiler and wait. So problem seems related to compiler. Try to go step by step.

Are you able to compile directly from command line?
Than, are you able to compile from PB IDE?

If both are yes, than, double check all the paths.

If all is ok, maybe we can think something else.

Ciao
Eros
thinBasic Script Interpreter - www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community
Win7Pro 64bit - 8GB Ram - Intel i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

Frederick J. Harris

Hi Eros!

Yes, the PB compilers work fine.  So does Jose's SED editor.  I used SED_116 because I saw in the various responses to Jose's introduction to the newer 2.0 version that it may not work with Windows 2000, and I havn't had any problem with 116 on Windows 2000.  Typically, when I use Lynx I use the compile & execute buttons up in the upper toolbar of Lynx.  I had been laboring under the assumption that when using Lynx one mustn't use the compile/run functionality of the editor presently being docked to, but I just tried it while Jose's Editor was docked to Lynx, and it compiled and ran the loaded program perfectly.  Perhaps I got that idea from an earlier version of either Lynx or SED, but I do seem to recall that that was the case???

Anyway, far as I can tell, Lynx is working perfectly except that under no circumstances can it locate or compile the file presently loaded in it.  It does load the file perfectly normally after I set up a new project.  When I expand the tree view it correctly locates the procedures in the file.  When I click on a procedure it sets the focus to the line in the editor that starts the procedure.  Everything works absolutely perfectly, except, as I said, there is total absolute failure with any attempt to compile the file.  If I use Jose's Compile/Execute commands they work perfectly.  In fact, I see this as my only solution.  And in fact, if that works what's the difference?  Problem solved, I suppose.  However, it just galls a person when one runs into one of these inexplicable problems such as this.

I've compared the Form1.lnx file from a computer where it worked with the one where it didn't, and could find no differences.  All the paths to compiler, to the includes, everything are right.  Ultimately, somehow and somewhere the problem certainly must involve a bad path, but without the source I don't know how I'll find it.  At this point I'm beginning to think I'd better just use the Compile/Run commands on SED which thankfully work while its attached to Lynx.

Frederick J. Harris

Latest Update...

And now, just as mysteriously, its working.  Fought it an hour last night before I went to bed, and all this morning.  Installed/Uninstalled several times - the works.  Finally, I gave up.  Started working on the actual project I wanted to work on today, and just used Jose's SED editor to compile & run.  Then just for kix I tried Lynx and it decided to work.  Go figure!